The Australian Bureau of Statistics Personal Safety Survey (2006) shows that:
- 40% of women have experienced violence at some time in their adult life;
- 29% women have experienced physical assault;
- 17% of women have experienced sexual assault;
- 16% have experienced violence by a current or previous partner in their lifetime; and
- since the age of 15, one third of women (33%) have experienced inappropriate comments about their body or sex life, one quarter (25%) have experienced unwanted sexual touching and one in five (19%) have been stalked
Domestic violence is an issue which must be tackled by all members of the community.